A Centresource Interactive Agency gem for generating new Rails applications.
We start new Ruby on Rails projects frequently.
In doing so, we end up repeating many of the same steps. As Rubyists, we are always looking for ways to DRY things up. This project is intended to serve as a launching pad for new Rails applications. Perhaps most importantly, it is not supposed to cover everything that every Rails app will ever need, but to be a good starting place.
How to use Preseason
N.B. This project assumes you have a development environment setup that is capable of installing Rails projects. If not, start with the Rails Guides. You must also have the rvm gem installed. It also assumes that you are using SSH if you plan to make your project a Github repo.
1. Install the rvm gem if you don't already have it installed
gem install rvm
2. Install the preseason gem into your global gemset:
gem install preseason
3. Make sure your db is running (postgres/mysql/etc)
4. Install a new Rails application with:
5. Follow the prompts to choose your database, etc.
6. Make a mistake? Just rm -rf your application's directory and repeat steps 1-4.
7. cd into your application directory
8. Make magic happen and dreams come true.
What Preseason does
asks for your db of preference
asks for your preferences on a few gems
creates an RVM gemset for your project and switches to that gemset
creates a new config/database.yml file with info from your db of choice
adds the database.yml to .gitignore and creates a database.yml.dist as a placeholder